To an unsuspecting foreigner, it would appear that Bengali men have taken a liking to wrapped skirts. Since this is my first time visiting Bangladesh, the first question I was begging to ask is “What’s with the man skirts?” After traveling around the country for several weeks, I have had enough time to realize that lungi, as they are appropriately called, are not only a practical, but also a fashionable and affordable Bangla-style.
I have no idea where the lungi originated but after doing some basic research, it appears that they are popular in some Middle Eastern and South Asian countries. are long sheets of fabric, comfortably wrapped around the waist in a special way that makes them look like they’re about to fall off but they never do. They appear to be the Bengali equivalent of the Scottish kilt complete with all the same stereotypes. Thankfully, you only have to worry about seeing something inappropriate in public when a first time lungi wearer bends down or uses the bottom part of the lungi to wipe their hands. Veteran lungi wearers know how to keep things concealed.
I’ve determined that the prevalence of the lungi is due to practicality. It is hotter than Hades in this country, and the lungi provides a cool, drafty airflow to dance around your legs. No trousers offer that same luxury in Bangladesh.
A lungi is also very versatile. I’ve seen men where them as shorts and three-quarter length pants. They can be used to wipe your hands, head or any other part of your body all while maintaining ample coverage if you know what you’re doing. Wearing a lungi is the rickshaw driver style—I’ve never ridden with one who wasn’t sporting the look—so it’s clearly a quality article of clothing considering the kilometers that these guys accumulate over the course of a day. Since it’s wrapped around a man’s body, he can basically do anything in it while staying cool, including discreetly using the bathroom anywhere. I’ve never encountered such a magical article of clothing.
Lungis can also be paired with anything, which offers a man the ability to demonstrate his own unique sense of fashion and style. They can be worn with any type of shirt, sandals or shoes, black or brown, earth tones or neon—the choices are endless for just one article of clothing! They are quite affordable from what I’ve heard so it’s no wonder the male masses adorn themselves in these wonder wraps.
I think one of the coolest things I’ve noticed about the lungi is the ability to create an instant pouch used to store personal belongings. It’s like an incognito wallet that no one can steal because it blends in so beautifully with the rest of the garment—genius.
I must say that I am truly impressed with ability of Bengali people to create a simple, practical and affordable article of clothing for its countrymen. Granted it is simply a large piece of cloth and its creation may have happened on accident but I kind of want to bring it back to Texas and see if this brilliant idea will catch on in my own culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment